Monday, October 6, 2008
Saturday
I often have moments where I sit back and question my actions. This Saturday was the opener of the duck hunt. I got up at about 3:30 and headed out with the idea of being the first ones to the pond that we have hunted the past 3 years. After a grueling hike with two dozen decoys, gun and ammo; I arrived at the pond only to discover that three boats had beat us to the area we had chosen to hunt. I then had to decide if I was going to stay and hunt knowing that I would have a lot more competition or try and find a new spot in the dark, being too tired to care I chose to stay. The wind was really blowing from the south and then the rain came and made it cold. About one hour before open shooting time ducks were flying everywhere! I was so excited it looked like it would be a fantastic hunt. Five minutes after shooting time began I still hadn't fired a shot, the birds seemed to have disappeared; perhaps someone had tipped them off. I fired a total of two shots the entire morning without hitting anything, which left me wondering on the long walk home if it was really worth all the trouble to hunt ducks. I arrived home tired and wet, the boys were excited to see me; the dog was mad at me because I didn't take him and Trish was glad that I was home so that I could help watch the boys. I guess the hope is that someday I will be able to take Cole and Jonah with me (maybe they could help carry all the stuff!).
Practicing their duck calls
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Drew I love that you do the blogging. It's awesome. Sorry about the hunt. I guess you can't have a great one every year right? The boys are getting so big. They're cute.
Post a Comment